No evidence recovered following extensive police search

Officers from the Metropolitan Police Service have now concluded their search of a property in Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands as part of the investigation into the disappearance of Suzy Lamplugh.

The force says that no evidence was recovered. Suzy’s family have been informed of this outcome.

Since Monday, 29 October, forensic officers and detectives from the Met and West Midlands Police have been on site at the address.

A warrant was sought to search the address after new information was received earlier this year about Suzy’s disappearance in 1986.

The information, and the site, was assessed by specialist officers and experts before the decision was taken to go ahead with the search.

The painstaking search of the grounds of the property has involved the excavation of parts of the garden and the rear of the property, and the use of ground-penetrating radar.

Around 15 officers and staff from the Met and West Midlands Police have been involved, and an archaeologist was also on-site to assist.

The Met says it would like to thank the occupants of the property for their cooperation and for accommodating officers throughout the search. The Met also thanks West Midlands Police for their assistance.

Detective Chief Superintendent Richard Wood, who leads the Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: “Suzy was a young woman when she was reported missing on 28 July 1986. She is presumed dead, and is believed to have been murdered. Her body has never been found, and no-one has ever been charged as part of the investigation.

“This has been a landmark case for the Met, both in terms of its scale and complexity, and because of the huge sense of tragedy of a young woman’s life being cut short and the uncertainty around what happened to Suzy.

“A total of 32 years have passed since Suzy’s disappearance; years that have undoubtedly been hugely painful for her family and loved ones, and our thoughts remain with them at this time. I would like to pay tribute to Suzy’s family for their support during the Met’s investigations into her disappearance, as well as for their courage and strength through decades of sorrow.

“This latest line of enquiry must have been traumatic for them, as well as bringing them some hope that they might find out more about what happened to Suzy, but they have always been supportive of our efforts to make progress in the investigation.

“The case remains open, and the Met remains committed to bringing Suzy’s killer to justice. We will continue to assess any new information that comes in.”

Anyone with information that could assist the investigation is asked to call officers on 0207 230 4294 or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s