Man admits attempted murder

A man who brutally assaulted his eight-month pregnant fiancé has today (Wednesday 11 January) pleaded guilty to attempted murder.

Petar Petrov, aged 31, a Bulgarian national of Densworth Grove, N9, London, pleaded guilty at the Old Bailey to the attempted murder of the 30-year-old woman at the above address on Friday, 5 August 2016.

He will be sentenced at the Old Bailey on 10 February.

Petrov had been in a relationship with the victim for just over a year after they met working at a hotel in Knightsbridge. The couple moved into the property in Densworth Grove in July 2016 ahead of the arrival of their unborn baby.

Neighbours first reported hearing loud shouting and arguing from approximately 8pm onwards on Friday, 5 August, which lasted for around an hour. One local resident recalled hearing a man shouting followed by a bang which sounded like a car crash.

A member of the public then found Petrov lying on the floor looking unresponsive and believed he had been thrown through the first-floor window as he was surrounded by blood and glass – he also had knife wounds to his body. He provided immediate first aid and called police at around 9:15pm.

When other neighbours came to help, the man entered the flat to check on the welfare of any other occupants and found the victim lying on the floor with visible injuries to her head and neck. It was at this point that he discovered she was heavily pregnant and he immediately began first aid with the assistance, over the phone, of a paramedic.

She was taken to hospital with life-threatening injuries including several facial fractures, severe bruising of the lungs and a stab wound to the face.

She was treated in intensive care and remains in a critical condition in hospital.

Due to the victim’s condition and in order to save the baby’s life, doctors performed an emergency caesarean section and the baby was born premature, but with no physical injuries, on 9 August.

Petrov was found with injuries consistent with falling from a height and self-inflicted wounds. He was taken to the Royal London Hospital and subsequently arrested. After being discharged from hospital Petrov was taken to Edmonton Green Police station where the interview was led by Det Con Milan Pandya from the Enfield Community Safety Unit.

Petrov was charged with attempted murder and attempted child destruction on Monday, 8 August.

Detective Inspector Chris Skelt of Enfield Police Community Safety Unit said: “This has been a truly shocking case. It is incomprehensible to think that a father-to-be could carry out such a violent and horrific attack on his fiancé knowing she was carrying their baby.

“I would like to commend the members of the public who were first at this distressing scene, and who performed first aid on the injured parties and called the emergency services. Their quick actions and bravery were crucial in getting the victim the medical attention she needed, saving her child’s life.

“Sadly she remains in a persistent vegetative state, however thankfully her child was born without injuries via caesarean section.

“Enfield Borough Community Safety Unit conducted a robust and thorough investigation that has led to Petrov’s guilty plea. This will now mean that the members of the public will no longer need to give evidence forcing them to relive the terrible events of that night.

“Petrov has never revealed the motive behind his shocking attack but I urge anyone who is either in, or know a person in, a relationship suffering domestic abuse to report incidents to police in order that we can protect victims for further abuse and perpetrators can be brought to justice.”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s