Man jailed for life for teen murder

A man found guilty of the murder of a 17-year-old has been sentenced to life imprisonment.

At the Old Bailey Jemal Williams, aged 20, of Berkeley Gardens N21 was convicted of killing Shaquan Sammy-Plummer.

He was sentenced to life, with a tariff to serve a minimum of 24 years.

The court had heard that Williams stabbed Shaquan over a petty dispute. After refusing to let Shaquan attend a party at his house, Williams chased him down the street and stabbed him in the chest before fleeing the scene.

Detective Chief Inspector Jamie Piscopo from the Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: “The death of Shaquan was a meaningless tragedy. Even when he was turned away from the party, he made no fuss and was in the process of leaving when Williams decided he needed to teach him a lesson.

“This has been a complex and lengthy investigation with an overwhelming wall of silence preventing us from bringing Williams to justice sooner. We understand people might be scared to come forward but we will do everything we can to offer reassurance and support and ensure dangerous men like Williams are dealt with as they should be and families like Shaquan’s can be given some closure.”

On Friday, 20 January 2015, at around 21:30hrs Shaquan arrived at Williams’ home. Williams was having a party and Shaquan, who lived in Islington, had been invited by the boyfriend of the defendant’s sister.

Williams claimed not to know Shaquan and refused to let him in. He then demanded Shaquan, who was with two friends, hand over the bag he was carrying which contained drinks and snacks they had just bought for the party.

Shaquan refused and began to walk away.

Williams then ran after him and stabbed him once in the chest, piercing his heart.

Those nearby initially thought Shaquan had just been punched. It was only when he began stumbling before collapsing in the driveway of an adjacent house that Shaquan’s friends realised what had happened.

Local residents came to his aid until paramedics arrived. Shaquan was taken to the Royal London Hospital but died a short while later.

While Shaquan lay dying, Williams fled. One of the Shaquan’s friends chased after him but to no avail.

Williams eventually handed himself into a police station on 9 February 2015.

He was bailed pending further enquiries but re-arrested in October after he was finally named as the killer by a witness.

In court on 19 April 2016 he claimed it was Shaquan who had produced a knife and came at him. Williams said all he did was grab his hands and push him away – an account rejected by the jury.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s